Pages

21 August 2021

A Couple of Thoughts about QuakeCon 2021

Taken from QuakeCon's fan kit.

There were many reasons to wait for this year's QuakeCon, mostly due to Microsoft acquisition and Quake's 25th Anniversary. If there's anything to take away from it, it's that Bethesda haven't changed a bit. Technical difficulties during event's beginning were just perfect. I wasn't even annoyed that it affected Quake side of things as in fact it was funny to see them cut off Phil Spencer in favor of Quake World Championship 2021.

Besides that, I would say that QuakeCon 2021 was pretty humble and quiet overall. I'm not interested in The Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 76 and Deathloop, so these three just went by for me. As for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition... Look, I don't want to poke that meme. There's not really much to talk about, so let's just get to it.


Quake.

Easily the most interesting part of QuakeCon this year. While we haven't got any mentions of a new title being in the works, I'm fine with that. There doesn't seem to be anything in regards to Quake Champions, which is... I guess many people expected this and I shouldn't be surprised, but its still kind of odd. It was a perfect time to finally push that game for final release as a part of 25th Anniversary, but I suppose  they had other priorities. Speaking of that...

I'm still not sure in what category I should put this version of Quake. It surely is a re-release while also containing some updated models that supposed to move it closer towards remasters, but calling it an Enhanced version is likely a better choice. It's quite similar to 2019's re-releases of DOOM and DOOM 2 in terms of features and overall launch, it seems. Still, this appears to be a pretty solid collaboration between id Software, Machine Games and Nightdive Studios.

Actually, there's really a lot to go through here. I've been playing a lot of this iteration of Quake: getting achievements and diving into multiplayer. Like, my desire to step back from it and other FPS titles in favor of more variety almost disappeared. Perhaps I would dive deeper into this re-release, but only after it gets its first patch and I spend a bit more time with this Quake to have clearer vision of things.


DOOM Eternal.

I'm out of the loop when it comes to DOOM Eternal nowadays, even though getting in Slayers Club is still part of my boring routine. Despite the fact that this game is simply unaccessable for me, I thought it would be nice to talk about it again: just not about story/lore stuff this time around. Besides, I just don't want this post to be too short.

Upcoming Update 6.66 (of course) brings in some new content for players. Main highlight is probably going to be new Horde Mode since its idea was popular within Eternal's content for a while, especially after the appearance of mods that tried to make dream come true. There're also a couple of new Master Levels and improved matchmaking for BATTLEMODE, which does sounds pretty nice for dedicated players.

Nintendo Switch version of DOOM Eternal is going to get The Ancient Gods Part 2 on August 27. Having full game on the go thanks to this fantastic port is awesome, not to mention other DOOM titles available on the console... even DOOM 3 re-release from 2019 with its issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment